Vintage Mercedes Benz M127 Engine Diagram

kavadarci

Joined

·

1,151 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I thought I would start a new post about the engine removal on my 1971 W114 250c with an M130 engine in a pursuit to find the knocking noise when hot.

Head has been removed and at the shop for valves overhaul, and most of the components around the engine block are out.
I've started the process of cleaning and painting some of the parts so i don't have to do later all at once.

Off course few visuals. I will update as I go along. Any questions let me know (I will probably be the one asking most of the questions)

Auto part Engine Metal Automotive engine part Steel Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Vehicle Fuel line

Water pump before

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Carburetor Metal

Water pump after cleaning

Auto part

Water pump after paint

Auto part Family car

Fan

Red Propeller Propeller Plastic

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

psjorge

Joined

·

20 Posts

original finish

Hey kavadarci,

I have a '66 250SE coupรฉ and I think both our cars have the same engine...

I've noticed that you painted the water pump so here is my question:

- I do like the finish of painting silver over bare metal but originally these parts were not painted but I'm not certain how to get the right bare metal finish. I wonder if one can use a soda blast?

Don't take my question as a criticism, painting is a great option that I'm considering myself!

Thanks,
Pedro

kavadarci

Joined

·

1,151 Posts

Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Pedro
You are correct originally they were not painted but with the available oil resistant heat resistant paints why not add a little bit of shine

I am painting my engine block with VHT (dupli color also has the paint) paint and oil resistant paint
I clean the part first with metal brush and then wash with water and soap if possible and before paint I use acetone to clean everything
Once painted items are so much easier to clean since oil doesn't stick

My plan is the engine block to be black parts attached to it silver and the fan and head cover red

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

kavadarci

Joined

·

1,151 Posts

Discussion Starter · #4 ·

wbain

1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed

Joined

·

1,830 Posts

You will have to remove the block and mount it on an engine stand. Harbor Freight had one that will work, use the 4 wheel one. Remove the upper oil pan and remove the bearing caps. keep them in order and orienation. Check the condition of the bearings for wear. Remove the connecting rod bearing caps, keep them in order and orientation too. Check the condition as well.

If they look fine, get some 'plastigauge' from your fave parts store and follow the direction. Look in your repair manual to get the right size for your bearing clearance.

Then remove the pistons and rods from below, the block is upside down, and check the pistons and cyl walls for wear or scoring.

Take lots of pics and post them.

Grubeguy

71 300SEL, 16 BMW Z4, 58 MGA, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911

Joined

·

2,397 Posts

Kav, in the pic of your engine, up close, do I see the first cylinder gunkafied? Looks like deposits of some kind?

kavadarci

Joined

·

1,151 Posts

Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Kav, in the pic of your engine, up close, do I see the first cylinder gunkafied? Looks like deposits of some kind?

Yes correct

I haven't done any cleaning
I will do it once the pistons are out

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Joined

·

415 Posts

Be aware not to use any scrapers, abrasives etc on the block and head gasket sealing surfaces. They are machined to a specific RA finish to enable the head gasket to seal and damaging the surface especially around the fire rings is not good. This is a major cause of blown head gaskets.

kavadarci

Joined

·

1,151 Posts

Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Be aware not to use any scrapers, abrasives etc on the block and head gasket sealing surfaces. They are machined to a specific RA finish to enable the head gasket to seal and damaging the surface especially around the fire rings is not good. This is a major cause of blown head gaskets.

Ok
What do you recommend for cleaning and how?
Bought the bolts today for the lift and engine stand is assembled

Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle Exercise equipment Room Floor Leg Bench

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

300sel W109, 280S 70 , 220s 62. 230 66. Lancia Flavia 63.Pininfarina

Joined

·

869 Posts

Kavadarci
while the manifold is out have it and the mating surfaces checked with a straight edge for any possible warpage .

Grubeguy

71 300SEL, 16 BMW Z4, 58 MGA, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911

Joined

·

2,397 Posts

Kav, for that first, gummed up piston, how does the head look? Perhaps this is the source of your rattling?

kavadarci

Joined

·

1,151 Posts

Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Head is at the shop to refresh it by checking all the surfaces, install new valve guides and manifold bolts

The guy quickly looked at the head and said is in fantastic shape

Here is the engine lift and fed more parts painted

Ladder Vehicle

Alternator Prepped for paint

Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Wheel Automotive tire Auto part

After paint

Auto part Wheel Metal

Steering pump cleaned and drying before paint
I realized I'm out of black paint so will have to wait

Road surface Sidewalk Street light Shadow Cobblestone

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Luna Gaudi's 72 250

Joined

·

393 Posts

Looking really good! With all of the work you are doing on this car, you will have to keep it and pass it on to the kids/grandkids.

Keep the pictures and progress coming.

When I cleaned my alternator I took it apart, there is a bearing that is replacable in there, also, I pulled out the old grease and replaced with new.

rumb

68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420

Joined

·

4,691 Posts

you can soda or sand blast parts clean. there is paint avail to make it look like bare metal. Eastwood Detail Gray Paint - Stamped Steel Appearance
or you can paint whatever color you want.

I've noticed that you painted the water pump so here is my question:

- I do like the finish of painting silver over bare metal but originally these parts were not painted but I'm not certain how to get the right bare metal finish. I wonder if one can use a soda blast?

Don't take my question as a criticism, painting is a great option that I'm considering myself!

Thanks,
Pedro

kavadarci

Joined

·

1,151 Posts

Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Further update.
i got my carbs back from a complete rebuild and boy am i glad i didn't do this on my own.
Few items on the carbs:
he cleaned them in few chemical baths and final coating bath.
brass and few other metalic parts were cleaned via ultra sound cleaner.
an idle needle was missing on one and few membranes were gone.
bottom plastic plate had crack and he said it was leaking air without a doubt.
bench tested and all positioned properly according to the rebuilder.
took him two weeks to finish them (probably didn't work on them all the time).

He said whoever had this car did all properly as these were the cleanest carbs he ever had to rebuild, (29 years in business).

I am very pleased with how they turn out but off course the final test is when i install them on the engine.

before after pictures:

  • Auto part Vehicle

    108.6 KB Views: 353

  • Auto part Vehicle Automotive engine part Engine Family car

    114.8 KB Views: 396

  • Auto part Disc brake Automotive engine part

    71.3 KB Views: 369

anywhere from '52 300 to 1990 560SEL,and a '93300TE nothing newer, too much trouble....

Joined

·

428 Posts

Hey kavadarci,

I have a '66 250SE coupรฉ and I think both our cars have the same engine...

Thanks,
Pedro

I don't think they're the same.
I believe the 250SE had an M129 fuel injected motor, (a continuation of the M127 (220SE and 230SL) motors).
UNLESS , Pedro you had somebody install a 250/8 carburated motor into your car before your ownership....

Joined

·

62 Posts

kavadarci,

where did you send your carbs for rebuilding? Im interested in maybe getting mine done as well.

kavadarci

Joined

·

1,151 Posts

Discussion Starter · #18 ·

kavadarci,

where did you send your carbs for rebuilding? Im interested in maybe getting mine done as well.

I got them to carbs rebuilders in Toronto
2nd generation of carbs rebuilders shop
Everyone claimed they are the best in Toronto area and my experience with them confirms.
Extremely knowledgable and had zeniths rebuild before, recent before mine for a Mercedes dealership

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

kavadarci

Joined

·

1,151 Posts

Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Finally the engine with the tranny is out
It was not as bad as thought it will be and the tranny does add weight
Next is cleaning and separation of the tranny from the block
Pictures

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Car Vehicle Musician Metal Engine Auto part Automotive engine part Carburetor Vehicle Crane Vehicle Auto part Subcompact car Construction equipment Engine Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive engine part

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

kavadarci

Joined

·

1,151 Posts

Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Flex disc is in fantastic condition.
I will only replace the plastic coated nuts

Auto part Screw Fastener Household hardware Nut Auto part

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Source: https://www.benzworld.org/threads/m130-engine-removal-rebuild.1812322/

Posted by: modestomodestosimonellie0272785.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post